Overview The main objectives of this consultancy were to undertake scenario analyses, economic, water requirement projection and ecological support studies Read more
Support to Phase 3 of the ORASECOM Basin-wide Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM) – Plan: Overview
Water Resources Quality Joint Basin Surveys (JBSs)
The second 5-yearly comprehensive Joint Basin Survey (JBS2) of the quality of the water resources of the Orange-Senqu River Basin was undertaken Read more
2014 Integrated Water Resources Management Plan (IWRMP) – Summary and Documents
Purpose: This article will provide an overview of the 2014 IWRMP and provide links to the actual documents Related WIS Read more
Irrigation Water Demand Management (WP6)
Objectives The overall objective of the work package was to attain an overall understanding of how better management practices could reduce Read more
- WIS > Biota and Ecosystems > Transboundary Environmental Assessment for the Orange-Senqu River Basin
Transboundary Environmental Assessment for the Orange-Senqu River Basin
Overview and Purpose
In their meeting in 2005 the Ministers responsible for water in the riparian States of the Orange-Senqu River basin have recognised the need for formal guidance for communication and collaboration on transboundary environmental assessment in the context of the ORASECOM Agreement. Such guidance would, among with other provisions, enable active stakeholder participation in planning, development and conservation of water resources at the basin scale.
These recommendations are intended to:
- Highlight issues of concern in the basin, especially how transboundary impacts on the river system and associated habitats could foreclose future livelihood and development opportunities.
- Provide guidance on how transboundary impacts should be assessed, using SEA and EIA tools.
- Advise on how to conduct transboundary consultation in the context of the notification requirements.
These recommendations have been developed in the specific context of ORASECOM and are thus geared towards the Orange-Senqu River basin and the water-related issues of that basin. Details on institutional arrangements are linked to the ORASECOM Agreement and ORASECOM structures. However, they could be expanded to a broader geographic or thematic context at a later stage.
- Malzbender, D, et al. 2011. Transboundary EIA guidelines for ORASECOM: Scoping paper. Technical Report Number 8.
- Tarr, P, et al. 2011. Transboundary environmental assessment guidelines for ORASECOM: Discussion materials for the regional consultation. Technical Report Number 13.
- Tarr, P, et al. 2013. Environmental assessment in the transboundary context of the Orange–Senqu River basin: Recommendations of the ORASECOM Council. Technical Report Number 14.